I hearby challenge you to a cast iron duel. It shall be for all the marbles. The "guidelines" are thus:
1. It shall be a 2 pot meal.
1.1. It shall be cooked in cast iron. Whether that is camp dutch ovens, skillets, or enameled kitchenware, that is up to the contender.
2. The challenge is open to any contender on the world wide web.
3. It shall be created completely original; recipes are not allowed, as well as remixes of old dishes. However, recipes may be consulted for fresh ideas, so long as the resulting dish is not remotely like the recipe.
4. The 2 dishes must incorporate ingredients from the four categories:
-The "Wildcard" ingredient
4.1. The 2 dishes do not need to have all four ingredients in them. For example, it is perfectly acceptable to separate the meat and vegetables in 2 pots while seasoning them with the spice and wildcard.
5. The "Wildcard" ingredient will likely be different for many of the contenders. This is how it works: There will be a list of about 10 ingredients, numbered 1-10. The contender will visit random.org and set the range to 1-10 and click Generate. The number generated is the wildcard ingredient. The contender may not generate random numbers more than once. The idea of the contest is to challenge your moxie, so no cheating! The wildcard ingredients will be either veggie/fruit/starch, spice, or 'non main dish' meats. A great example of this is bacon or sausage.
6. The deadline for the duel is open ended, so that as many participants as possible are able to participate.
7. The recipe and story should be posted for all the world to read and enjoy. If participants do not have a blog and want to get published, I will be happy to post their stories on The Back Porch Gourmet with full credit and links to any site they operate.
So here goes:
The challenge ingredients are:
7. Peppers (any variety)
If you accept the challenge, leave a comment below with a link to your site, or email the author at backporchgourmet (at) gmail (dot) com. If you don't want to start a blog but want to participate, send me the story and photos and I'll post it here with full credit to you. These challenges are a great way to push you out of your comfort zone, and force you to try new things.
Bon Appetit! The Outdoors Start at Your Back Porch!